Tuesday 31 July 2012

Interlude: Meeting Chris Colfer and getting Lost In Middle America (LIMA)



I apologize for taking over the blog with a posting but I promise you, this will be worth it. It also gave me some great inspiration for the story. So enjoy this posting about how I  (KurtsieKalanai) met Chris Colfer:
 
I am a Gleek. I always like to say that I’m a “Raging Gleek”. I have watched the entire series thus far several times. I am writing a multi-chapter, multi-book fanfic. I spent an obscene amount of money on Glee Live VIP tickets and merch. My home office decorations are even dedicated to Glee! I never thought I would be admitting this at 36 years old. 

If it’s possible, I’m a bigger Chris Colfer fan. He is by far my favorite actor on the show, followed by Darren Criss and Lea Michele. I am so much a fan that he is referred to simply by his first name at home, like he was some sort of long lost relative. “Are we going to watch Chris today?” or “Gotta make sure we have Chris’ books with us.” It really is a problem. :P When I found out that Chris was doing a book tour, I absolutely HAD to go! Luckily he was doing a signing in Cincinnati, which is about a five and a half hour drive from where I live in Ontario, Canada. So I called and reserved my copies and spots in line and waited…and waited… I think the anticipation was the worst part.

The day finally came and we packed ourselves in the car at 6 in the morning for the long drive. We decided we were going to stop off in Lima on the way back, but we made several pit stops along the way. I will chat about Lima later in this posting.

The signing started at 3:30 and we arrived at the bookstore for the first time at around 1pm. The store was halfway to full already! We had to go back to the hotel and change, so we got our books and left. When we returned an hour and a half later, there was barely room to move! Thankfully we had a reserved spot in line, so that part went quite smoothly.

Right around 3:30 (give or take a few minutes) Chris came to the top of the stairs to excited fans. I was surprised, however, at how polite and reserved everyone was. It was nice to be in a nice respectful atmosphere. There were a few screamers, but most of us just cheered and clapped. Luckily I was only in line E, so I didn’t have long to wait.

All of a sudden, I became a stupid teenager. I got nervous. I could barely talk. I started shaking. I was about to meet my idol! This man had actually inspired me to start writing again. Previously, I went through about 15 years of writers block and didn’t write anything but academic papers. He and his character Kurt inspired me to be myself and not care what people thought. That was an interesting lesson to learn in my early 30s!

The line went quite fast, so we only had 30 seconds tops with him. But what a 30 seconds I got! It helped I had 3 books to sign. There were no posed pictures to save on time, but my spouse did get some good pictures while we were talking. It was all very pleasant and generic, and he called me sweetie three times! He was so sweet. I made up a little envelope with a letter and some pictures I took from Glee Live. I told him everything I wanted to say was in that envelope. I hear he reads all the letters given to him, so he will know how I feel. It seemed like a flash, bit it was over pretty quickly.

People ask me if he as beautiful in person. I have to say he is and more. The man is an absolute Angel. You can tell that he is truly touched by all the attention he is getting over the book. I think that is what I like about Chris. He is still a “real” person. He is humble, he is funny, and he is so very talented. I have been listening to the audio book, and he changes his voice for every character. I would encourage Ryan Murphy to use his talents more! He is an untapped resource.

So that was the signing. Because we thought we would be there later, we decided to just book a hotel in the city. We ended up eating yummy Mexican and driving into Kentucky, which was just over the river from Cincinnati. I can now say I have been to Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky, among other states.

The next day, we decided it would be fun to stop off in Lima for a few hours before making our way home. Now if you are from Lima, please do not take ANY offense to what I am going to say. This is just what we came away with in only a short visit.

If the production crew from Glee did their research, they did an excellent job. It was the epitome of small town Ohio. The mall was tiny (and didn’t have fountain OR massage chairs), downtown was quite small, and the entire place just had an air of oppression and small town-ness (is that a word?) I could totally see why Kurt and Rachel and just about all of the New Directions wanted to get out of there.

Ironically, the only place that looked at all modern was the only high school in the city which is, funnily enough, named Lima Senior High School. It was pretty big, and what a high school should look like. However, the school looked like it was in the middle of Lima Heights adjacent, if there is such a place. We left Lima with a really odd feeling. I can’t tell if it is just the bias from the TV show or what, but I just want to say I wasn’t a fan.

I can say that I am glad we went, because it does make me appreciate the show more, and why the kids wanted to get the hell out of there. It also gives me a little bit of perspective about small town USA as I am Canadian, and things are slightly different here. It was also a good opportunity to research for my fanfic and get some pictures with Lima signs on them, like Lima Mall and Lima Dental (wonder if Dr. Carl works there?)

Two days later, I am still on Cloud 9. This goes down as one of the happiest moments of my life. I know he is a busy man, but that 30 seconds of his life was just for me. I know he has made a massive impression on me, and if it is possible, I am an even bigger fan. I have my pictures on Facebook and you are more than welcome to see them at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150951215851561.417411.672896560&type=1&l=3d17ed7761. Thanks for reading and if you met him during the book tour, I would love to hear your stories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment