Tuesday 30 October 2012

Cruel Summer Chapter 23 - Can We Start Again Please



Word Count: 6,725/189,000

Rating: PG-13

Summary: After Kurt was rejected from NYADA, we were dying to find out what happened next. We couldn't wait for the September premiere. Here is our take of what happened from the letter opening and beyond.

Author's Note:
Happy Day before Halloween! Also it’s the day after Superstorm Sandy. I’m located in Southern Ontario, well inland of the storm, and even we have downed trees everywhere. My thoughts go out to those affected the worst, like in NYC. Now for the story. This chapter is one I’m proud of. There are a lot of nice dramatic moments, a song I absolutely love, and a cameo from an earlier character! (Think Chapter 3) I also snuck in a little reference to another one of my favorite shows. If you see it, let me know in the feedback! I FINALLY finished editing all the chapters I wrote before I went away, so I’m about to start writing new stuff. Unless something inspires me, this book (story isn’t over) should be done before chapter 30. Never fear, though. I’ll still be writing. Just something else. Also, you are going to see some OOC stuff from Kurt, but it’s not a major part of his new characterization. It did make for a sweet moment, though.

Disclaimers: KurtsieKalanai doesn’t own Glee. If I did, I would have focus groups with fanfic writers since they write the best storylines. Second, I don’t own the songs in the fic. I use songs like the show but they fit into the story. Songs will be explained at the end of chapter. Third, this is AU so things do not work EXACTLY like canon. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Thanks:
Of course my beta Wayne Kotke. I hope he returns soon. Also Gleekast of course. Cast, Crew, Darren, Chris, Ryan, you get the drill. I also wanted to thank all the beautiful people who give feedback. It drives me to keep writing. Also, those who are just enjoying the story. I love you all.

*****


Kurt let Burt drive this time, because he didn’t trust himself behind the wheel. They took Burt’s car, and Kurt sat in the back seat and made Rachel sit in the front. He wanted to sit alone, and he didn’t want to talk. He was seeing red, and he had to take several deep breaths to keep calm. He never thought it was possible to be this angry at anything. He always thought it was a literary device – seeing red, that is – but everything he saw had a red tinge to it. It unsettled him, but he let the anger drive him forward. Otherwise he’d collapse and refuse to move.

Burt saw in the rear view mirror that Kurt was staring straight ahead with his mouth in a thin line. “Kurt, are you okay?” he asked.

“I really don’t want to talk right now, Dad,” Kurt responded in his lower voice. Burt’s eyes widened as this was the first time hearing Kurt talking like this. He also didn’t like the look on his son’s face.
Rachel leaned over and whispered, “Kurt has reverted back to the beginning of the week. I think this is his way to cope with what happened to Blaine. In my opinion it’s best to just leave him alone for now.” Burt nodded but looked back at his son. He looked scary and a little bit psychotic.

Rachel looked back to Kurt and gently said, “Let us know if you need anything, Kurt. We are here for you.”

Kurt kept looking forward as he growled, “What I need is to get my hands on Blaine’s father. I need to hurt him like he hurt my boyfriend. He’s going to pay, I swear it! I want him to feel pain!”

Burt pulled over and turned back to Kurt as he said, “Kurt, I know you’re angry, but you need to calm down. You’re angry and saying things I’m sure you don’t mean.”

Kurt slowly turned his eyes to his father and said between clenched teeth, “I mean every word I say.” He looked out the window and added, “I just want to get to Blaine, please.” 

“Going off the deep end isn’t going to help Blaine,” Burt advised.

Kurt just scoffed and continued looking out the window. “Little too late for that, I think,” he muttered.

Kurt’s regular “joie de vivre” attitude was nonexistent, and it terrified Burt. His son’s voice sounded lifeless and robotic. Burt shook his head sadly and pulled back out into traffic. The rain had been reduced to a heavy drizzle, and the traffic was light. He glanced over to Rachel, who was wringing her hands around her purse. The atmosphere in the car was extremely tense. Burt debated putting on the radio, but he didn’t want to make Kurt any angrier, so he kept the car silent. All they could hear was the rhythmic back and forth of the windshield wipers.

Luckily, Chisholm Road wasn’t too far from the Hudson-Hummels. In fact, it was about halfway between Kurt and Blaine’s houses. “He was trying to get to me,” Kurt whispered to himself. A little louder, he repeated, “Dad! Blaine was trying to get to us. He knew we could help and he was trying to get to us!”

“And we’ll help him, Kurt. He’s family, and family is the most important thing of all,” Burt comforted.

Despite the scorching anger Kurt was feeling, his father’s statement sent a tiny crack down his hardened shell of hatred. Burt actually considered Blaine family. This was the first time his father had said anything of the sort. He knew both men got along fine enough, but Burt had never said anything more about Kurt’s boyfriend. Blaine was closer to Carole by far, and that also delighted Kurt. 

As much as he was suffering at the moment, Kurt gave a small smile and said, “Thanks, Dad, really. That means the world to me.” Burt grunted, nodded, and continued driving.

Finally, Burt, Kurt and Rachel saw the two cars on the side of the road. Santana noticed that her friends had finally arrived and got out of Blaine’s car. Burt parked behind the other two vehicles and turned off the gas. “Rachel, can you call the paramedics? I’m going to check on Blaine,” he requested as he opened the door. Kurt had the door opened and was halfway to Blaine’s car by the time Burt had gotten out.

“Santana! Where is he?” Kurt asked Santana, who was trying to keep calm for Kurt’s sake. As much as Santana had tried to being her friend back to consciousness, Blaine was breathing steadily, but he wouldn’t wake up. Not knowing her friend’s health status really freaked her out.

“In the car,” Santana informed, pointing to the BMW. “Your dad told me not to move him. I covered him with my jacket. Kurt, I’m sorta wigging out here.”

Kurt hugged Santana and said gratefully, “Thank you so much for taking care of him, Tana. I need to get to him now.”

As Kurt rushed to the car, Santana asked, “Is he going to be okay?”

“I sure hope so, because if he isn’t, someone else is going to suffer tonight,” Kurt deadpanned and stared at Santana. His eyes reverted back to that steely anger he showed back at the house. Santana took a step back because the look frightened her. Kurt was completely serious. Usually when Santana said something like that, the threat was completely empty. She was just trying to look like a badass. Kurt actually WAS a badass. Once again, he was one step from going over the edge.

Santana shook her head and followed Kurt to the car. By this time, Burt and Rachel had joined them. Kurt looked in the driver’s side window, and turned back to Santana with wide eyes. “Oh my god, what did that bastard do to him?” Kurt whispered. He moved over to the passenger side and opened the door as he called to his father, “Dad, there’s blood all over his face! I hope the paramedics get here soon.”

Kurt got in the car and looked over to his boyfriend, who was lying back with his eyes closed. It looked like he was simply taking a nap. Except for the blood. The blood was horrific. He could also see some bruising on Blaine’s face. Kurt didn’t want to see the rest of his body, since his father usually beat him where nobody else could see. This time Blaine’s father didn’t seem to care about covering it up. He knew he wasn’t supposed to move Blaine, but Kurt couldn’t just sit there and wait for the paramedics to arrive.

Kurt very slowly moved his hand towards Blaine’s face. He was afraid to touch him, because touching him would mean that this wasn’t a nightmare he would wake up from; that this was actually happening. “Hi Blaine, it’s your Kurt,” he said as quietly and as calmly as he could. “Sorry it took me so long to get here. Santana found you, and we got here as soon as we could. The paramedics are on their way, and they’ll make you better. ‘Cause Blaine, you need to get better.” A sob escaped and he put his hand to his mouth. He took a shaky deep breath and continued, “You can’t leave me, Blaine. I love you so much. I promise I’ll make your father pay for what he did to you. Just wake up. Please?”
Kurt gently grabbed Blaine’s hand and brought it to his lips. His palm was covered in dried blood. “Blaine, please come back to me?” 

Nothing happened so Kurt just held Blaine’s hand, blankly staring at his prone form. At least he could see Blaine’s chest slowly moving up and down; at least he knew that his boyfriend was alive. Burt gave Kurt a minute and opened the driver’s side door. He checked Blaine’s pulse and listened to his breathing. Kurt just sat in silence. He couldn’t say anything else. “He seems to be stable, Kurt. The paramedics are a couple minutes away. Are you sure you want to wait in here?” Burt asked.

“I can’t leave him, Dad! I left him before and I can’t do it again,” Kurt said desperately. Rachel walked up behind Burt and looked in. After looking at Blaine with astonishment, she started weeping and ran away from the car.

“I’ll stay here with Blaine. You go see if Rachel is alright,” Burt suggested.

Kurt didn’t want to, but he didn’t want Rachel to be alone and scared either. “Blaine, I’m still here. Rachel is with us, and I think your appearance scared her a bit,” he said as if he was having a perfectly sane conversation with this boyfriend over lattes. “I’m going to see if she’s okay.” He leaned over and gently kissed Blaine’s blood-stained forehead. “I love you.”

Burt looked at the touching scene with heartache. Kurt was way too young to go through something like this, too young by far.

Kurt got out of the car and ran to where Rachel and Santana were standing. Santana had her arms around Rachel, who was sobbing on her shoulder as if someone had died. “The blood on his face scared me. Santana, why did this happen?” Rachel asked. “It’s Blaine! Our Blaine! I couldn’t bear it if something happened to him. It’s all so very heartbreaking!”

“I don’t know, Berry. But you need to chill out. If not for yourself, then for Kurt. He needs us right now,” Santana answered as she ran her hand down Rachel’s hair, trying to soothe her. She looked up and saw Kurt. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Kurt said tiredly and pointed to Rachel. “What’s up with her?”

“She’s losing it a little. I’m trying to get her to calm down,” Santana responded. She pulled Rachel away and said, trying to make a joke, “Hey, look. Your boyfriend is here.”

Rachel looked over to Kurt and wailed, “Kurt!” and threw herself on her best friend. “I’m so scared. Is he going to die? There was just so much blood, and he looked like a ragdoll.”

“He’s going to be fine, Rach,” Kurt said, kissing Rachel on the forehead, hoping that was indeed the case. He looked to the car and added, “Dad is taking care of him right now.” Despite the panic he was feeling inside, on the outside he was holding together pretty well. Maybe the fact that they finally found him made him feel slightly better.

“Why didn’t he tell us what was going on at home?” Rachel asked. “We could have helped him!”
“There’s no sense in regretting what could have been. Everyone has secrets they feel they need to keep, no matter how dangerous,” Santana responded. “I learned that first-hand last year. Just don’t punish the poor guy for keeping this secret. It’ll just make him feel worse.”

“If he wakes up,” Rachel whispered.

“He’s going to wake up!” Kurt almost yelled, pulling Rachel away and gently shaking her. “He will fight this! Rachel, don’t stay stuff like that!”

Rachel was about to apologize when Burt called, “Guys, can you come over here right now?”
“What is it?” Kurt asked, starting to panic and thinking that something was wrong. The tone in his father’s voice sounded urgent. He quickly walked to the car with the girls following.

“It’s Blaine. He’s moving!” Burt exclaimed.

Kurt politely pushed his father out of the way and kneeled down at the door. He could hear the sirens from the ambulance in the far distance. Blaine’s head was slowly moving. “Kurt,” he croaked and winced at the pain.

“I’m right here, baby. Please don’t move. We’re getting help,” Kurt said, touching Blaine’s cheek. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Blaine opened his swollen eyes and looked at his boyfriend. “It hurts so much. Thanks for helping me, Kurt. I was so scared,” he said quietly. He didn’t have any more energy to speak louder, so he fell silent.

“Santana and Rachel are here, too,” Kurt said, moving aside for the two women. “Santana found you and gave us a call. You should be thanking her.” Rachel gave a wave and a smile and Santana gave a thumbs up. 

“Hi guys,” Blaine said weakly. “Excuse my disheveled appearance.”

“I’m just glad you’re okay, Blainers,” Rachel said, wiping her eyes. “Just get better. That’s all I ask.” Santana didn’t say anything, because she was on the verge of tears and was desperately trying to keep it together.

“I’m so tired,” Blaine said, trying to squeeze Kurt’s hand. It hurt too much to move so he just held his boyfriend’s trembling hand. Kurt put his fingers on Blaine’s curls and pushed them out of the way. It just exposed more bruises to Kurt’s dismay.

“Just close your eyes and rest,” Kurt said, refusing to let go. The sirens sounded really close now. “The ambulance is almost here.”

Blaine looked at Kurt and said, “I love you, babe. You look really handsome. I’m sorry we couldn’t do the date. If you don’t mind, I’m going to sleep now.”

Kurt had tears in his eyes as he said, “I love you, too. I’ll see you when you wake up.”

The ambulance arrived, and the paramedics spoke with Burt for a moment before coming to the car. The female paramedic gently lifted Kurt and said, “We can take care of him now. Thanks for watching him for us.” Kurt nodded but didn’t want to let go of his boyfriend. Rachel gently took his arm and led him away from the car towards his father. 

“We’re going to tow the car to Hummel Tire and Lube,” Burt said to the other paramedic. “That’s my shop. Blaine can get the car from there when he’s better.”

“Are you this young man’s family?” asked the paramedic. 

“Blaine was just the victim of a severe beating from his father,” Burt said in a matter of fact voice. Kurt gasped as the realization of what happened hit him again. Every time heard that Blaine’s dad beat him, it shocked him to his very core. “I’m assuming temporary guardianship until I can speak with a lawyer.”

“The police will be here shortly and will want a statement. You can tell them what happened,” said the paramedic. “We need to take care of Blaine.”

“Well, they can find us at the hospital, because that’s where I’m taking my son and his friends,” Burt said, starting to get annoyed at the coldness of the paramedic. This was Kurt’s love the paramedic was talking about, and slowly but surely, Burt was thinking of Blaine as another son. He turned towards Kurt and said, “Do you want to stay with Blaine or come with me?”

Kurt wanted to stay with Blaine, but he knew if he rode along in the ambulance, he would just get in the way. “I’ll go with you. I may not be able to let them do their job if I stayed,” he answered.
Rachel walked up to Kurt and offered, “I’ll go in the ambulance with Blaine. I’ll meet you there?”
Kurt nodded and hugged Rachel tightly. “Thanks for everything, Rach. Love you. I love you, too, Tana,” he murmured. At the moment, he felt the desire to tell everyone how much they meant to him, because every moment with his loved ones might be the last.

“Right back at ya, Hummel,” Santana responded and gave a smile. “Let’s go, Berry.”

After Santana left, Burt and Kurt stood in silence and waited for the paramedics to load Blaine onto a stretcher and into the ambulance. Rachel hugged Kurt again and joined Blaine in the back. Burt stood with his arm around Kurt as the ambulance left with the siren blaring. “Are you ready, Kurt?” Burt asked. “I have someone from the shop coming to tow the car.”

“Yeah, sure,” Kurt said, looking back at the BMW. “Wait, I need to get his phone.” He jogged back to the car and grabbed Blaine’s phone from the cup holder. He turned it on and noticed that Blaine had missed Kurt’s call. How long was he unconscious??? When did Blaine’s father do this to him?

After grabbing the car keys and locking the door, he walked back to his father, passed him Blaine’s keys and said, “Okay, let’s go.” As they were driving to the hospital, he sent a text to Carole to see if she had left the house yet. Thankfully she hadn’t, so he asked her to bring a change of clothes. Leather and rain weren’t the best of friends, and his pants were starting to feel uncomfortable.

They got to the hospital and parked near the emergency room door. Kurt paid for the parking, and they ran to the entrance. When they got there, most of the New Directions had already arrived. The only ones missing were Mercedes and Quinn. Maybe Mercedes had already left for LA, but that didn’t explain Quinn’s absence. Carole wasn’t there yet, but Emma and Will were. They met Santana in the parking lot. In a rare gesture of affection, Santana grabbed Kurt’s hand and they entered the hospital emergency room.

“Is he here yet?” Kurt asked Sam. Santana gave Kurt’s hand a gentle squeeze and joined Brittany in the waiting room.

Sam nodded and said, “They brought him in just before you got here. He looks really beat up. They won’t let anyone see him yet. Said something about having to stabilize him?” Rachel walked up to them, wrapping her arms around Kurt, then hugged Sam. Kurt noticed how clingy she was being today, but he appreciated all the support he could get.

“I’m his boyfriend; they have to let me see him,” Kurt said and walked to the information desk. After talking heatedly with the nurse at the station, he came back and spat, “These people are useless! They won’t let me go back there because I’m not considered family. We’re the only family he’s got right now!”

“Kurt, you need to calm down,” Finn said, sounding exactly like Burt did in the car. This just set Kurt off again. He looked at Finn with a piercing glare. Finn put his hand on Kurt’s shoulder.

Kurt jerked away and yelled, “Calm down? Calm down?! My boyfriend could be dying for all I know and you want me to calm the hell down? I’m so sick of people telling me that!!” He looked at the rest of the group and added, “Just do me a favor and go home. I don’t need you guys here. I appreciate your concern, but you aren’t wanted.”

Everyone looked at each other, hoping this wasn’t going to be a reenactment of the Kurtervention. Kurt backed away as he said, “I’m sorry, but I I need to get out of here for a few minutes. I love you all.” He ran out the sliding doors of the ER.

“Oh shit, not again!” Finn whined as he rolled his eyes and ran after his brother. “Dude, wait! Hold up!”

Kurt ran to one of the pillars that were outside of the hospital and leaned against it, breathing heavily. He didn’t have the strength to do any of this anymore. He was just so tired. He heard Finn yelling after him and Kurt groaned because he didn’t want to deal with this right now. Finn stopped and put his hands on his knees as he said, “Bro, you gotta stop running away like this. Your friends are here to help you. When are you going to see that?” He straightened up and added, “The way you’re treating them is kinda rude, man! Why are you so angry all the time? If you’re going to be mad, then be mad at me for telling you to calm down.”

Kurt stomped up to Finn, got in his face and yelled, “You’re asking me why I’m angry all the time? Shit hits the proverbial fan, and then when it looks like things are finally starting looking up for me, I get kicked in the nuts yet again! There’s only so much bullshit I can take, Finn! I think I’m beyond my breaking point.” He put his index finger in his brother’s face and added, “I’m angry at Blaine for not telling me sooner; I’m angry at Anderson for doing this to his son; I’m angry at everyone for getting their dream; and most of all, I’m angry at myself for not doing something about it when Blaine first told me about the beatings. So tell me, BIG BROTHER, how in the HELL can I calm down?” His voice got louder and louder until he was practically screaming. The other visitors and patients were looking at them with concern. One patient looked like he was about to call for an orderly.

Finn could tell that Kurt was losing control again so he grabbed his arms and said vehemently, “Kurt, you couldn’t have controlled this! Why are you blaming yourself?”

“Just go away, Finn! I don’t need you to help me through this!” Kurt yelled. When Finn didn’t let go, Kurt started pounding on Finn’s chest, screaming, “I hate you, Hudson! Just let me go! Leave with Rachel just like everyone else is leaving me. Stop trying to be the hero all the time! I’m just a loser anyway! I hate myself, and I don’t deserve anyone.” Finn just let Kurt hit him. His brother had to get out all the anger he had inside, and Finn was a good punching bag. Kurt kept yelling and punching, all the while sobbing for everything he lost. The week from hell was finally coming to a head. Finn’s heart broke for Kurt, but this releasing of emotions would make him feel better in the long run. 

Rachel and Sam came out to see how the brothers were getting along and were shocked to see Kurt punching his brother, with Finn trying to calm him down. “Kurt!” Rachel exclaimed. “What are you doing?”

Kurt was beyond listening, so Finn answered, “Just let him be, Rach. This needs to happen. I remember when I was so upset about my father last year and I had no one to talk to.” Kurt was starting to lose steam so he stopped punching and put his head on Finn chest. Finn put his arms around his brother, and Kurt returned the hug.

“Finn, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what happened,” Kurt sobbed. “I’m so scared and angry and helpless and I feel so lost.”

“Just get it out, dude,” Finn said gently while rubbing Kurt’s back. “We’re all here for you, okay?” Sam and Rachel just stood there, not sure what to do. They’d seen Kurt freaking out before, but this was a whole new level of crazy.

“I don’t hate you. You know that, right?” Kurt asked, his sobs starting to subside. “I’m just going to miss you when you go. I’m going to be here all alone.”

Finn pulled Kurt away and scolded, “You’ll never be alone, Kurt. There are more than a dozen people in the waiting room who are there for you. Every single one of them will be a phone call or a short plane trip away. And Blaine will be fine. Your brother wouldn’t lie to you, would he?” He gave a reassuring crooked smile.

“I suppose not,” Kurt said, sniffling. “But you’re still an ass,” he added, giving a watery smile.
“I can accept that,” Finn said and smiled. “Bitch.”

Without skipping a beat, Kurt playfully pushed Finn away and retorted, “Jerk.” 

“Let’s go inside. Maybe we can talk to the doctor,” Finn said as he put his arm around his brother and returned to the waiting room. Sam and Rachel followed, speaking in hushed tones.

Kurt entered the waiting room and saw everyone watching him nervously. “Relax guys, I’m fine,” he said kindly. “Sorry I lost it again. I really need to do something about that.”

Everyone nodded, accepting his apology and Kurt sat on one of the hard plastic chairs. His leather pants made a rude noise to the amusement of Finn, Sam, and Puck. The three-person bromance giggled immaturely, and Kurt gave them one of his best “grow up!” looks. He wished Carole would arrive soon with his jeans and hoodie because his leather pants were starting to shrink. He spent a minute or two wiggling around, trying to get comfortable. 

He couldn’t sit still so he stood up and stated, “I’m going to get a coffee. Anyone else want anything?” Everyone shook their head and went back to reading magazines and talking to each other quietly.

“Are you sure about that? Hospital coffee is radioactive toxic waste,” Santana informed.
Kurt smiled and said, “Be right back. Come get me if the doctor comes out.” He went to the vending machine and was cursing while trying to pull his wallet out of his ever shrinking pants when he heard a deep voice behind him.

“Kurt, what are you doing here?” asked the familiar voice.

Kurt jumped and spun around. “David!” he exclaimed. “You scared the crap out of me!” He put his hand to his chest, trying to get his heart to slow down. “The same can be said for you.”

“We had to bring in Dad. We think he might have had a heart attack,” Dave answered, looking at Kurt’s pants with an amused expression. He also wasn’t going to lie; there was a bit of appreciation in that look. After all, Kurt WAS pretty hot. But he was a friend, and that was all he would be. Besides, this wasn’t the time and the place for that. He wouldn’t do that to Blaine, either. Still… “Hey, let me buy you that coffee. You seem to be having trouble getting your wallet.” He put a dollar bill in the machine and Kurt chose his coffee flavor.

“Is he going to pull through?” Kurt asked. He really liked Mr. Karofsky, and David’s father was one of those good dads who actually cared about his children’s well-being. “Unlike Blaine’s father,” Kurt thought disdainfully. Mr. Karofsky and Kurt had a long heart to heart when Dave was in the hospital after his suicide attempt. He was a good man. Kurt made a mental note to visit Mr. Karofsky when the crisis with Blaine passed, whenever that was…

“Yeah, he’s just in for observation. He needs a complete diet overhaul, but he should be fine,” Dave responded. Like Kurt, Dave looked exhausted and mentally worn out.

“Well, that’s a relief!” Kurt said, putting his hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Well, thanks for the coffee. I’m sure you want to get back to your dad.”

“I was actually about to leave,” Dave informed. “I’ll walk you back to the waiting room.” As they walked, Dave asked, “So you still haven’t told me why you’re here.”

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Kurt apologized. “My brain has taken a leave of absence, it seems. It’s Blaine. He had a domestic issue at home.” He gave a bitter laugh and rolled his eyes, adding, “What the hell… it doesn’t matter if you know anyhow. His father beat the shit out of him. He was unconscious, but he woke up before the ambulance came.”

“What?” Dave exclaimed. “Are you serious? That’s messed up!”

“Yes. Yes it is,” Kurt agreed. “Needless to say, I’m having some crazy rage issues at the moment, so I’m barely keeping it together.” He didn’t want to talk about his millionth breakdown this week so he changed the subject. “We’re all in the waiting room if you want to join us.”

“Of course!” Dave said. “I really like Blaine. He’s so nice to me, even after what I did to you last year.”

“Water under the bridge, my friend,” Kurt said. “So I hear you were at Scandals the other night after my big makeover.”

“Yeah. You sort of freaked me out, you know,” Dave scolded.

“I think I freaked myself out that night,” Kurt responded. “And I really suffered for it the next morning, too. Hangover to the extreme with Linda Blair quality projectile vomiting. I would have put that creepy demon to shame! It’s been a really screwed up week.” He shook his head. “Once things calm down on my end we can do coffee and I’ll tell you all about it. I could write a crazy Lifetime Network movie with my story. Either that or a blockbuster horror movie.”

Dave laughed and entered the waiting room where he saw the majority of the New Directions and Kurt’s family. “Look who I found at the coffee machine!” Kurt exclaimed. Everyone smiled and waved, glad to see Dave. It took a while for them to forgive the former bully for terrorizing Kurt in junior year, but after the suicide attempt, they appreciated how much Dave was hurting, too. There was nothing like a life-changing tragedy to put things into perspective, after all.

“’Sup, Karofsky,” Puck asked and gave a single nod to his old teammate.

“As well as could be expected, I guess. It’s nice of you guys to be here for Blaine,” Dave said, taking one of the spare seats. “I really regret not joining New Directions when I had the chance. You guys are like a family. I barely talk to anyone on the football team.” Everyone gave a sad smile but didn’t say anything, because they didn’t want to be reminded of past drama.

Carole finally came with a change of clothes, so Kurt excused himself to change into his trusty jeans and hoodie. He lamented the death of his leather pants, but realized he really wouldn’t miss them too much. He discovered the wonderful world of loose fitting jeans. When he returned, everyone sat and waited, but no one really said anything. Kurt sighed and pulled out his phone, surfing the net while waiting for some news from the doctor. He couldn’t focus on any one thing. He gave up and stood, pacing the waiting room. Spotting an empty seat beside Rachel, he plopped down beside her.

“How are you holding up?” Rachel asked and put her head on Kurt’s shoulder.

“I just want to know what’s going on, and I really want to see Blaine,” Kurt said, starting to feel anxious again. Something must have happened, because the doctor should have been out by now to give an update, even if there was no change in Blaine’s condition. 

“I’m sorry I yelled at you for not telling me about Blaine’s secret,” Rachel apologized. “I know it’s something he didn’t want anyone to know about.”

“I only found out about it recently,” Kurt responded. “Believe me, I’m hating myself right now for not doing anything about it right away.”

“Well, right now, all we can do is pray,” Rachel said. At Kurt’s hard look she added, “Or hope. Whatever floats your boat, right?”

“If praying makes you feel better, then pray,” Kurt said quietly. “Hell, maybe I should pray, too. Does your god listen to people who don’t believe?”

“Of course he does,” Rachel said and stood up. “Just a second. I’ll be right back.” She walked over to where Joe, Sam, and Rory were sitting. After talking quietly to them and looking back at Kurt, she came back. “Come on, we’re going somewhere.”

Kurt stood, wondering what Rachel had up her sleeve. As they walked down the hall Joe, Sam, and Rory joined them. “Where are we going?” Kurt asked.

“We’re going to pray,” Rachel said.

“I’m not so sure about that,” Kurt said, turning back to return to the waiting room. “I don’t think I’m comfortable with that option.”

Rachel grabbed his arm and compromised, “Look, you don’t have to pray. Just be there with us while we do, okay? It’s not going to hurt Blaine any.”

Kurt sighed heavily and said, “Fine! If I have to. Just don’t expect anything from me.”

They made their way to the hospital chapel. Kurt was relieved to find there were no clergy in the small room. He felt ridiculous going in there, and he didn’t want anyone asking any questions. Since there was no one inside, they went to the front of the room.

“Rachel, I know you’re Jewish, so I’m not sure how you pray, but in our youth group we do a prayer circle,” Joe explained. “Can we do that here?”

“That sounds like a great idea,” Rachel said. She looked over at Kurt who looked visibly uncomfortable. “Relax, Kurt. You aren’t going to burst into flames.”

“Tell that to all the evangelists on late night TV,” Kurt said sarcastically. “Gay man in a holy place? I should start smoking any time now.”

“Oh, stop it!” Rachel admonished and grabbed Kurt’s hand. He didn’t pull away so she grabbed Sam’s hand, Sam grabbed Joe’s hand, Joe grabbed Rory’s hand and Rory completed the circle by grabbing Kurt’s. Kurt’s friends all bowed their heads, and Kurt rolled his eyes but did the same.

“Just pray out loud if the need hits you, or you can pray to yourself,” Joe explained. Kurt kept his head down out of respect to his friends. No one said anything, and he wondered if they all fell asleep.
He heard a voice speaking, and he was shocked to realize it was his own. “Hey, god, or whoever you are. Kurt here. I feel really silly doing this, like I’m praying to the Smurfs or something, but I thought I would try, right? Look, I’m sorry I haven’t talked to you, but I have my reasons,” he explained. “My friends said that if I pray, it might help my boyfriend. So consider this my very first prayer in a very, very long time. Forgive me for being skeptical this is actually going to work, but I’m at the end of my rope. I’m not sure what else I can do. So if you can and you aren’t too busy or anything can you watch over Blaine for me? I’m not sure how to end this so I guess I’ll just thank you. Love, Kurt.”

He felt completely embarrassed and stupid for praying out loud like that, but he felt a calm peace afterwards. He just chalked his serenity up to letting out his feelings on Finn earlier. Believing anything else was too much for him to comprehend right now. Rachel squeezed his hand and he squeezed back. 

After another minute of silence, Sam spoke up. “Hey, dude, it’s Sam,” he prayed. Kurt gave a small smile because Sam called his god “dude,” like they were buddies or something. “I know I pray for Kurt and Blaine, or Klaine if you will, every night, but this time I’m sending up a super special prayer. I mean, I know you already know this – being omniscient and all – but Blaine is unconscious in the hospital. Please watch over him, okay? Also, Kurt is sorta freaking out, so do some Jedi mind tricks on him and send him peace. These two are my family, and I just want all of us together again. So yeah, thanks and I’ll catch you later.” Kurt was highly amused at this prayer from Sam and suppressed a giggle.

They were silent for a few minutes more when Joe spoke. “Hi God. Thank you for this day you gave us. I also want to thank you for all my friends in New Directions. I think you led me to them, and I appreciate it. Today I come before you to pray for my friends Kurt and Blaine. Blaine is in a lot of trouble right now and I ask that you help heal him and give him the peace he needs to get better. I also want to pray for my good friend Kurt. He’s feeling a little lost right now, and he’s worrying about his boyfriend. Just give him the strength to get through this. Send your angels to protect and comfort him. Thanks again for all that you give. Amen.”

“Amen,” repeated the others and lifted their heads.

Kurt looked at all three of them and whispered, “Thank you, guys. I’m still not sure if I believe, but that meant a lot to me.” Then he started crying. Sam, Joe, Rory, and Rachel brought Kurt in for a group hug and they all cried, worrying for their injured friend.

After a few minutes, they lit a candle and left the chapel hand in hand. They returned to the waiting room and hugged before going back to their seats. Kurt sat down next to his father and asked, “Hear anything yet?”

“Nothing yet. Where were you?” Burt asked.

“Believe it or not, praying at the chapel,” Kurt responded.

“Wow, Kurt praying,” Burt said to himself, shaking his head. “Never thought I would see that in my lifetime.”

“Heh, me neither,” Kurt said, giving a smile.

“If the doctor doesn’t come out soon, I’m going to insist on talking to him,” Burt said. “I’m really surprised we haven’t seen Blaine’s father yet. If he knew what was good for him, he’d stay away.”
Kurt nodded but didn’t say anything. He was trying to stay calm, and thinking about Blaine’s dad was just pissing him off again. After another couple minutes waiting, he stood and leaned up against the wall. Suddenly he started singing:

“I've been living to see you.
Dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
This was unexpected, what do I do now?
Could we start again please?”

Rachel heard Kurt singing and walked up to him, putting her hand on his arm as she sang:

“I've been very hopeful, so far.
Now for the first time, I think we're going wrong.
Hurry up and tell me this is just a dream.
Oh could we start again please?”

Santana was trying to hold it in, trying to be strong for her friends, but she just couldn’t do it anymore. She walked up to Rachel and Kurt and started singing for Blaine as tears streamed down her face:

“I think you've made your point now.
You've even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
Before it gets too frightening,
We ought to call a halt,
So could we start again please?”

Kurt looked back at Santana and touched her face and gave her a hug. The rest of the New Directions and adults joined in singing. Even Dave joined in on the song:

“I've been living to see you.
Dying to see you, but it shouldn't be like this.
This was unexpected, what do I do now?
Could we start again please?
I think you've made your point now.
You've even gone a bit too far to get the message home.
Before it gets too frightening,
We ought to call a halt,
So could we start again please?
Could we start again please?”

Kurt took the last line and sang, praying with all his heart:

“Could we start again?”

After another group hug, everyone sat back on the hard plastic chairs. Once everyone was settled, a doctor came out of the back room. “Kurt Hummel?” he asked.

Kurt stood up and said expectantly, “Yes, that’s me.” Burt stood up and stood behind him, with his hand on his son’s shoulder.

“We have your boyfriend stabilized. He’s going to be fine,” the doctor said. “We’re sorry we didn’t come out earlier. We have been trying to contact his parents.”

Kurt looked back to his father who asked, “Doctor, can I speak to you for a moment?” 

“Of course,” the doctor said. “He’s asking for Kurt so feel free to go see him, son. Just a few at a time though. He’s still very weak and medicated.”

“Thank you, doctor,” Kurt said and grabbed Rachel and Santana. He spoke to Finn, “You and Sam can come in after I’m done, okay?” Finn and Sam nodded.

Relieved that Blaine was going recover, Kurt started dragging Rachel and Santana down the hall. He just wanted to see his boyfriend and tell him it was going to be okay. He wasn’t going to let him go back to those monsters, and this time he was going to make sure of it.


******
A/N: Song for this chapter is “Can We Start Again, Please?” from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Jesus Christ Superstar. It’s one of my favorite ALW songs from any of his shows. Not much more to say about that. Did you find the other TV show reference? Think… Hunters…..

No comments:

Post a Comment